FEFE DOBSON AT MONDO WATER RATS LONDON, 15TH MARCH



EVENT - Award winning Canadian artist Fefe Dobson live next week in London, Paris & Berlin.

LONDON : Tuesday 15th March at Monto Water Rats, 328 Grays Inn Rd, Kings X, WC1X 8BZ - Stage 8pm

Fefe Dobson is a new name to the UK, but she has enjoyed phenomenal success in Canada under the guidance of Chris Smith Management (Nelly Furtado, Clipse)

She has just released her second album "Joy" for Island / Def Jam in her home territory and her management and label are now introducing her to both the European & Stateside marketplaces. She has literally millions of verified Youtube hits for her various videos over the years, including over 2 million for "GHOST"

The 25 year old began her career in 2003, and as well as working with a host of top producers, she also starred as Tina Turner in the NBC series "American Dreams", opened for Justin Timberlake on a previous European tour and has written for Jordin Sparks and Miley Cyrus. With the backing of Chris Smith Management & Island / Def Jam, they have earmarked 2011 as the breakthrough year for her internationally.

Explaining her influences :

“I grew up with Michael and Janet Jackson, but my older sister was listening to Guns N’ Roses and Nirvana, so I was right in the middle of it,” says Dobson. She was brought up in Toronto by a single mother, a mix of native Canadian and English, with a Jamaican father she just recently reconnected with. “I like that combination, especially when I heard Janet’s ‘Black Cat,’ with its rock guitar riff. That’s what this album reflects. I tried to isolate myself from the radio and TV while I was making it. I listened to a lot of old records, like Stevie Nicks, the Doors and Led Zeppelin, real dramatic, emotional music.”

Dobson bust onto the music scene as a precocious 18-year-old, releasing her debut album in 2003, which spawned four singles, including “Bye Bye Boyfriend,” “Take Me Away,” “Everything” and “Don’t Go (Girls and Boys).” She appeared as Tina Turner in the NBC series, American Dreams, opened for Justin Timberlake’s European tour, and was featured in a Tommy Hilfiger commercial that included “Don’t Go (Girls and Boys).” The album also earned her two Juno Award nominations for Pop Album of the Year and New Artist of the Year.

By 2006, Dobson returned to the studio to work on her never-released album, Sunday Love, which featured collaborations with such artists as Billy Steinberg, Matthew Wilder, Cyndi Lauper, Courtney Love, Joan Jett, Nina Gordon and Rancid’s Tim Armstrong. In the interim, several of her songs were covered, including “Start All Over,” a song which was recorded for Sunday Love, but never made the album, by Miley Cyrus, “Don’t Let It Go to Your Head,” the first single, by American Idol winner Jordin Sparks, and “As a Blonde,” which was covered by Selena Gomez.

Four years later, Fefe is back, with an album that is a clear indication that she will be doing things her way, or not at all. Working with producers David Lichens, Jon Levine, Howard Benson and Bob Ezrin on Joy, Dobson lives up to the portraits of her heroes she first hung during the recording of her first album—Kurt Cobain, Judy Garland, Coldplay, the Vines and Jeff Buckley. She co-wrote most of the songs on the album, usually composing on guitar, her choice of instrument.

At her young age, Fefe Dobson is more than ready to tackle expectations for her upcoming release.

“People expect you to bring it by the third album,” she says. “But I’m not letting the pressure get to me because that’s when the fun disappears. I want to laugh and enjoy myself because, at the end of the day, I didn’t do this just to do it but because I love to perform and make music. At the end of the day, I want to be rocking like Tina Turner when I’m her age.”

With Joy, Fefe Dobson is on her way to achieving that goal.

“I don’t regret a thing,” she says. “I keep moving forward and not looking back. I couldn’t ask for anything better. I’m a girl from suburban Canada who never thought I’d be able to do what I’ve accomplished. And I’m not done yet.”

Look out for some extensive UK media coverage coming immediately after this event.

Follow on twitter @fefedobson @urbanelitepr

TICKETS CLICK HERE

VIDEO FOR GHOST

Comments